Second Annual Poverty Olympics: February 8, 2009
The Second Annual Poverty Olympics was held on February 8, 2009, 1:00-3:00pm at the Japanese Language School, 487 Alexander St, Vancouver, BC.
- Game Changer: Recession Recasts Olympic Spending
Wall Street Journal - February 10, 2009
- ‘Poverty Olympics’ ridicule Games
Vancouver Sun - February 9, 2009
- Poverty Olympics spotlight Downtown Eastside
Globe and Mail, Canada - February 9, 2009
The free family-friendly event includes:
- Torch Parade (starts at 380 E. Hastings at 12:30–come and join!)
- mascots Creepy the Cockroach, Itchy the Bedbug, and Chewy the Rat
- Opening and Closing Ceremonies
- events like Skating around Poverty and the Housing Hurdles
- a special appearance by Mr. Con Dough.
Cockroach Cake will be served. Everyone welcome!
Download the poster here (PDF)
Sponsored by Raise the Rates, Carnegie Community Action Project, Vancouver Area Network of Drug Users, Power to Women, Streams of Justice, BC PWA, Downtown Eastside Neighbourhood House.